Monday, August 13, 2012

On Food Service

Today was my last day at Panera Bread.

I worked for that company for six months, which I feel is about 6 months too long.  Anyway, now I can finally express my opinion.

Now, this company prides themselves on "putting the customer first". This is an understandable concept.  Customers are important.  Without them, there would be no business.  Yet, I felt that this concept often got in the way of the employees' mental health.

For example, I was a closer.  When you work a closing shift, there are two registers, one line person, and one person doing dishes.  If there is a rush, or even a constant flow of customers, the closers get behind, and are forced to stay later than expected to finish the job.  This could be easily fixed if another person was scheduled on register during the evening.  It would our (the closers) jobs less stressful, and it wouldn't cost that much in labor, especially since Panera employees get paid as little as possible.

For another example, my manager once wanted a labor bonus.  So, that meant the employees got worked as hard as possible, for a short time, at low pay.  The employees lost money, so the managers could make more.  Personally, I don't find that fair.

My theory is that happy employees makes happy customers - if the workers enjoy their jobs, and are paid a little better for it, their positive attitudes will satisfy customers much more than a pasted on smile.  A prime working example is Chick-fil-a.  I don't agree with their politics, and don't eat there typically, but I did once.  The workers seemed happy and satisfied with their jobs.  If the CEO stopped being bigoted, then I would definitely eat there more - good food, and a positive atmosphere.  Panera may have good food, but their atmosphere needs a bit of work.  Perhaps if the workers were treated more like humans, instead of corporate robots, it would be a much better establishment overall.

Plus, their name actually means Bread Time Bread.  That's just silly.

Disclaimer: My managers were awesome people, I liked working for them.  I also liked the vast majority of my coworkers. It's corporate that is the real problem here, people.

Update: this is a great article on what costco is doing - treating the employees the way they should be treated.


1 comment:

  1. Things have really gone downhill since the new CEO took over. It's a shame. Panera is going to suffer unless - you're exactly right - they start treating their associates with more respect and more realistic expectations. I have worked at Paneras with happy associates and an amazing customer base...and I have worked at some with unhappy associates (due to managers treatment of them) and unsmiling, disgruntled customers.

    ReplyDelete