Friday, August 10, 2012

On Debating

Or, if you ask anyone else around me, arguing.

I don't know what they are talking about, I am just discussing my opinion loudly, usually in public.

I have a lot of opinions.

But why is it that many people don't enjoy these ... discussions?  Now, I am not just complaining that they won't talk with me - it's okay.  I get it.  I have, as previously stated, a lot of opinions. But, someone once told me that it doesn't really matter, and proceeded to ask me why I cared.  I didn't really have an answer for that one.  Why does it matter?  Now, the discussion in question was about the ACA birth control mandate, and in my opinion, that is a significant step forward for American women - it matters quite a bit.

In the grand scheme of things, though, arguing debating matters as well.  My favorite talks are with people who can challenge my beliefs and make me reconsider my position.  When it comes to thoughts and philosophy, I prefer the Emerson approach:
If you would be a man, speak today what you think today in terms as hard as cannon-balls, and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradicts everything you said today.
 It's okay to change your mind.  If a better perspective comes along, don't be close minded - consider it!  If you never question your beliefs, how do you know what you believe in the first place?  It's important to question yourself over and over again - if only to reaffirm your beliefs!  

Yet, society doesn't do that as often as I believe it should.  Whenever someone says that evolution should be taught to all children, Christians scream about the war on Christianity, instead of evaluating why evolution is a reasonable way to explain the diverse species on our planet, as well as or origins.

Americans, as a whole, need to learn to look at ourselves and evaluate what we are doing, why we are doing it, how it works, how it doesn't work, and how we can improve society.  I think most can agree that it must be improved.  Most of that improvement will come from debating ourselves and refining our ideals.  The rest can come from looking at others, and hearing what they have to say.

Today, go out and talk to someone whose beliefs you completely disagree with.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment