Thursday, August 9, 2012

On College

I move into my dorm in six days.

I have my bedding.  My rugs, my bathmat.  I have my alarm clock, my computer.  I even have my chemistry textbook.  In theory, I have everything I need.

In theory I am prepared.

In theory.

This may be the biggest move of my life - and I am only traveling 5 miles down the road.  It isn't the physical distance, though.  Rather, it's the first time I will live fully on my own.  No one to make sure I don't take a nap and sleep through work.  No one to schedule a doctor's appointment for me.  No one to put food in the fridge so I don't have to run to the store everyday.

Someone posted on facebook to "just put your whole life in boxes". That statement might just send me into an existential crisis.  That really is what we are expected to do, isn't it?  What do we do when our life doesn't fit in boxes?  What if our life packs up too easily?  What I have nothing to pack?

Now, I don't know the answers to any of these questions.  I certainly won't figure them out at 2 am.

But, I will remind myself that everyone else is living this crazy life thing for the first time as well.  No one truly knows how to navigate the world perfectly.

My life might just pack up perfectly, I just have to wait and see.

I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment